The True North Sailing Club is open to all sailors who hold American Sailing Association Basic Keelboat Certification at a minimum. Proficient sailors who are not currently certified can qualify for club membership by passing the required certification exams without having to complete certification courses.
Those who are new to the sport of sailing start by registering for the Basic Sailing Course at the True North Sailing School. After completing the Basic Course and receiving certification you can then become a True North Sailing Club Member. If you join the club within 2 weeks of Basic Course Graduation you receive a $100 discount on your initiation fee. All members must be at least 18 years of age.
LEVELS OF MEMBERSHIP
SKIPPER MEMBERS -
Skipper Members are experienced sailors who have completed The Basic and Advanced Sailing Courses and hold American Sailing Association Bareboat Cruising Certification at a minimum. All club boats are required to have a skipper member onboard when sailing. Skippers are responsible for maneuvering boats in and out of the marina docks but once you are out sailing all members rotate positions so everyone gets helm time on every cruise.
CREW MEMBERS -
Crew Members are beginner & intermediate sailors who have completed The Basic Sailing Course and hold A.S.A. Basic Sailing Certification at a minimum. Whenever club boats sail all members on board (both skippers and crew) share the driving time. This policy gives crew members the opportunity to perfect their driving skills so they can eventually become skippers themselves.
Unlike other sailing clubs, at True North there is no price difference between skipper and crew memberships. Your level of membership is a matter of sailing experience and qualifications.
MEMBERSHIP DUES -
- Annual Membership dues which gives you access to the clubs fleet of J/29 sloops is $1,875 per year for both Skipper and Crew Members.
- Initiation Fee – There is a one time $500 initiation fee for all new members.
- Experienced but uncertified sailors pay dues as listed above plus $150 for an A.S.A. onboard "Checkout" and written Certification Exam.
- Dues are prorated for members who join after the start of the sailing season (in their second season) so you will not pay for any unused sailing time.
SAILING CLUB DISCOUNTS
- Married Couples Discount – Spouse pays just $500 per year.
- Graduate Discount – True North Sailing School Basic Sailing Course graduates receive a $100 discount on their Initiation Fee provided they join the club within two weeks of completing their Basic Course.